Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates a fleet of ships designed to foster exceptionally safe, fun and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Our company is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment. Our focus is on continuous improvement and collaboration. Our employees have a responsibility to be accountable for all actions. We consider the environment in all aspects of our business and have a responsibility to put safety and sustainability first. We live and share a positive attitude that is based on fostering an environment of inclusion, trust, a willingness to listen, openness, and integrity. Doing this helps us to achieve our ultimate goal, which is to include FUN in everything we do!
The Assistant Maître D' is a pivotal figure in supervising food and beverage activities within restaurant operations, collaborating closely with the Maître D', Senior Maître D', and Restaurant Operations Manager. With a steadfast focus on maintaining consistent, high-level service and ensuring guest satisfaction, the Assistant Maître D' actively engages with the team and directs their collective efforts towards the improvement of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Net Promoter Scores (NPS). By fostering an environment of engagement, equity, diversity, and inclusion, the Assistant Maître D' encourages open communication, active listening, and learning from subordinates. This approach ensures that every team member feels respected, valued, and empowered to contribute to the common goal of enhancing the overall dining experience and driving continuous improvement across all aspects of the operations.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- The Assistant Maître D' is responsible for overseeing food and beverage services throughout designated venues, which includes Team Dining, Inclusive Dining venues, Room Service, and other areas involved in food and beverage operations or related activities.
- Responsibility is to ensure a consistent and high level of service in accordance with company standards.
- Oversee the performance of Restaurant Team Leaders assigned to their area of responsibility.
- Monitor employees’ hospitality, attendance, attitude, cleanliness, neatness, and service, and enforce fair employee discipline and follow-up.
- The Assistant Maître D' is responsible with delivering impactful, effective, and interactive training for all servers, while remaining vigilant in identifying potential training opportunities.
- Communicate effectively and timely with team members regarding procedural changes and upcoming events.
- Check correct venue set-up and ensure all equipment and fixtures are in clean and presentable condition.
- Conduct orientation for all team members assigned to their area of responsibility.
- Maintain operating par levels for silverware and equipment and ensure accurate and timely inventory submission.
- Consult with other managers and departments to ensure functions are set up as per specifications and replenishing is done in a timely manner.
- Monitor and control costs and be revenue and TGEM-oriented.
- Support team members who need assistance in performing their duties and maintaining smooth service and guest satisfaction.
- Ensure compliance with the Restaurant SOP plan, United States Public Health standards, HESS MS procedures and other regulatory policies.
- Report accidents/incidents immediately to the Maître D', Sr. Maître D', Restaurant Operations Manager and F&B Director.
- Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as necessary or directed by management.
- Uphold and enforce professional grooming standards and punctuality in accordance with company guidelines.
- Implement fair and equitable employee discipline, using the company Performance platform to evaluate, provide constructive feedback, and recognize the good performance of team members.
- Ensure timely completion and discussion of evaluations for team members under supervision with the Maître D' and/or Sr. Maître D'.
- Foster a culture of open communication, active listening, learning, respect, and continuous improvement in operations and standards. Encourage team members to embrace CCL Culture Essentials, ensuring a supportive and inclusive work environment.
Position Minimum Requirements
- International restaurant/hotel management certification
- Must have at least 3+ years of operating - Cruise/hotel/hospitality, high volume restaurant & multi-venue experience, is required.
- Must have experience in leading and supporting an operating team of 60+
- Must be detail-oriented with an eye for guest experience and guest satisfaction. Strong organizational skills, effective communicator, both written and verbal.
- Ability to communicate effectively with guests and onboard teams.
- Must have solid administration skills. Well-versed with Microsoft office suite.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills with the ability to effectively lead, train and motivate the team.
- Familiar with United States Public Health (USPH) standards, HESS MS procedures, environmental compliance policies, MLC, and ILO regulations.
- Proficiency in using restaurant management software, systems, and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to manage schedules, budgets, and inventory control.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with keen diligence.
- Commitment to providing exceptional guest service, upholding company values, and maintaining a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken; proficiency in additional languages is a plus.
Carnival Cruise Line and its authorized crewing partners DO NOT CHARGE recruitment or deployment fees from applicants and Team Members BEWARE OF ILLEGAL RECRUITERS.
New travel policy! We are excited to share that Carnival Cruise Line is now providing joining flight tickets for all new hires and rehires in all Hotel positions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our workforce hails from more than 100 countries around the world, and we know that what makes us different is what makes us great.
Our beliefs have helped drive our company and experience since the very beginning.Learn More