Food Operations ManagerApply
Carnival Cruise Line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates a fleet of ships designed to foster exceptionally safe, fun and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Our company is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment. Our focus is on continuous improvement and collaboration. Our employees have a responsibility to be accountable for all actions. We consider the environment in all aspects of our business and have a responsibility to put safety and sustainability first. We live and share a positive attitude which is based on fostering an environment of inclusion, trust, a willingness to listen, openness, and integrity. Doing this helps us to achieve our ultimate goal, which is to include FUN in everything we do!
Set sail on a new career with Carnival and help us bring the FUN to life aboard one of our fantastic vessels! We’re looking for dedicated individuals to join us as Food Operations Managers!
Our guests love to eat and with all the amazing food onboard our ships who can blame them! As a Food Manager for Carnival, you will be responsible for overseeing the entire Food Operation on board – this includes the Galleys, all the restaurants, and food outlets, the storeroom, and our Auxiliary Service department. ! The Food Operations Manager leads a team of Managers to ensure that our guest receives the best possible food and service on our ship.
Responsible for a large and diverse team the Food Operations Manager ensures that the team works hard but has fun. You will be a real foodie who enjoys engaging with our guests, has an eye for details, and enjoys mentoring and coaching a team.
As with all of our Managers, you’ll be a highly visible member of the team, and will constantly interact with our guests and help them with questions. The vacation experience we promise our guests will start with you!
- To oversee the organization, planning, administration and day to day running of the Food Operations Department in accordance with company policies, procedures, financial plans, and targets.
- To maximize the efficiency of food operations staff through effective scheduling, communication, and training.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Lead by example keeping the Carnival Vision statement, Culture Essentials, and Values always at the forefront.
- Monitor food & supply financial plans with a focus on ensuring expenditures are maintained within set parameters of financial plans both monthly and fiscally. Adjust accordingly to correct if needed.
- Monitor revenue generation within the department and formulate strategies to boost growth to meet monthly and annual targets.
- Ensure the quality of product and high standards of service is always provided to the guests. Actively monitor the Total Guest experience monitor (TGEM) results. Discuss with department leads and formulate strategies to ensure food and service excellence.
- Liaise with the Executive Chef and Storeroom manager in the preparation of Food & Supply orders ensuring optional Provision store inventories are maintained within set parameters. Final line approver for all Food and Supply orders.
- Ensure operational and storeroom inventories are carried out accurately and in a timely manner. Investigate and analyze untoward variances.
- Assist the Hotel Director and Senior Food Operations manager in the planning and timely submission of annual Hotel & Catering CAPEX financial plans.
- In coordination with the Executive Chef and Senior Maitre D (ROM where applicable) plan all special events and functions and ensure they are successfully carried out to maximize guest satisfaction. Liaise with group leaders regarding special requests, parties, etc.
- Ensure repairs and maintenance throughout the department are up to standard. Liaise with the Hotel Director, Facilities maintenance manager, Chief engineer and Staff captain on a regular basis to discuss outstanding requests.
- Schedule and chair regular management and team member meetings to ensure effective and open communication. Meet with the Hotel Director on a regular basis for mutual exchange of information.
- To be actively involved in the welfare and career of the team members through informal or scheduled meetings, performance reviews, and counseling when needed.
- Ensure fair scheduling and treatment of crewmembers is carried out by all management. Monitor & Funtime records for the department are in due compliance with MLC regulations. Overview and approver of department overtime.
- Overall responsibility for accuracy and compliance pertaining to the department’s administration. Ensure that all paperwork assigned to this position is completed and submitted in a timely manner.
- Observe guest service in all areas of the department and suggest/implement improvements where necessary.
- Observe working practices in production, auxiliary and service areas and ensure company policies and procedures are maintained
Regulatory responsibility and Authority
- Reports directly to the Hotel Director for all aspects pertaining to Health, Environmental, Safety, and Security within the areas of assigned responsibilities and as applicable to the position.
- Ensure implementation, compliance, auditing, and management of all regulatory procedures and protocols as outlined in GHESS and VSP Manual Section 7 as applicable to the position and department.
- Ensure that all aspects of the company’s Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Policy and Procedures are always effectively applied during the working activities assigned.
- Ensure that personnel under his/her supervision follow all the guidelines and procedures regarding Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Policy and Procedures at all times.
- Participate, and ensure as well, the involvement and support of his / her subordinates as required by GHESS and Regulatory Procedures.
- As part of your safety responsibility, your Position/Rank has been identified as a “Trainer” within the Training, Drill, and Assessment program.
- General Environmental Duties: Responsible for ensuring members of the department comply with company environmental policies and procedures.
- Environmental Training: Ensure that all department personnel have obtained and can verify their required environmental training prior to assigning the employee to their duty assignment. Employees without the required environmental training may not be appointed to nor accept their duty until so trained.
- Audits and Monthly Self-Assessment: Assist with all applicable aspects of audits and monthly self-assessments and enable training as applicable and necessary to prevent repeat findings
- Garbage and General Waste Management Duties: The Food and Beverage Manager has a significant impact on the production of food waste and garbage generated within his department. As such, his proactive involvement in the development of methods to reduce waste is critical to improving the company's environmental performance. The position is responsible for ensuring that members of the Food department comply with the garbage sorting and separation policies and procedures of the company. They shall ensure that all Food Department personnel carry out proper waste separation at the source (point of origin) and disposal.
- Overall responsibility for compliance on all current processes, procedures & operating equipment pertaining to the management of food waste with a focus on ensuring the proper separation and disposal of Processable (soft) and Non-Processable (hard) food waste is achieved. Ultimately responsible for ensuring the accurate tracking and reporting on food waste volumes generated (when applicable) and disposed of onboard.
Chemical and Hazardous Material Management
- He shall ensure that areas and personnel under his responsibility remain compliant with the company's policies and procedures regarding chemical management including personnel protection, storage, handling, labeling, and transportation and that no hazardous material is landed ashore for storage in a pier side warehouse or other such non-authorized facility but only transferred ashore and destined for an authorized storage facility. When necessary he shall facilitate obtaining Material Safety Data Sheets for needed chemicals used aboard within his department.
- At least 21 years of age
- Fluency in English
- Diploma or Degree in Hospitality, Hotel management, or related field or Technical training and relevant industry experience.
- Minimum 5 years of Management experience in the Food Operations Department of a Cruise Ship, Resort, or full-service Hotel.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our workforce hails from more than 100 countries around the world, and we know that what makes us different is what makes us great.
Our beliefs have helped drive our company and experience since the very beginning.Learn More