Junior Sous Chef - PastryApply
Carnival Cruise line is the most popular cruise brand in North America and operates a fleet of ships designed to foster exceptionally safe, fun, and memorable vacation experiences at an outstanding value. Our Company is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment. Our focus is on continuous improvement and collaboration. Our employees have the responsibility to be accountable for all actions. Our leaders set the tone at the top through strong communication to support an ethical climate on board. We consider the environment in all aspects of our business and have a responsibility to put safety and sustainability first. We live and share a positive attitude that is based on fostering an environment of inclusion, trust, a willingness to listen, openness, and integrity. Doing this helps us achieve our ultimate goal, which is to include fun in everything we do!
This position forms part of culinary arts middle management and is the second lead of Pastry & Bakery Operations of the Ship. The position is expected to cover the position of Sous Chef Pastry in its absence. The progression is to the position of Sous Chef Pastry upon completion of requisite training.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of Pastry & Bakery operations
- Precise knowledge of all product specifications in use
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop personnel and their work is a necessity
- Clear and implemented knowledge of food quality standards
- Clear and implemented knowledge of food presentation standards
- Comprehension of all work divisions of all core Pastry / bakery operations*
- Clear understanding of cost management and profitability of operation
- Maintain a clear understanding of the operation’s revenue goals
- Maintain a progressive training program towards talent development
- Clear and practiced understanding of inventory management and food ordering
- Clearing and practiced understanding of all products in use and stock rotation
- Clear and practiced understanding of post loading inspections and product specifications
- Ability to motivate assigned team towards achievement of goals
- Maintain positive working relationship with all parts of Food Operations and Ship departments
- Ability to promote and enhance product and guest experience
- Ability to resolve guest issues with either direct contact or via consultation.
- Should have a clear and practiced understanding of all USPH policies applicable
- Should have a clear and practiced understanding of all Health and Safety policies applicable
- Should have a clear and practiced understanding of all Environmental policies applicable
- Ability to create and manage Teamwork Schedules is a requirement
- Provide feedback through Performance Appraisal systems
- Must monitor and enforce applicable IMO regulations associated with operations
- Liaise with Culinary Arts management towards the achievement of all above
- Must successfully complete food trials and product reviews assigned by the Executive Chef
- Willingly execute any other assigned or delegated tasks
Position Minimum Requirements:
- Ideally, the candidate must have a Bachelor's in Hotel Management or an equivalent in Culinary Arts.
- Ability to clearly communicate in English, both verbal and written
- Cruise line experience comparable to CCL or work exposure at a 5-star property at minimum with multiple dining venues is a requirement where the last position held is at Pastry Chef or equivalent.
- Experience of the following:
- Fine dining desserts and advanced plating techniques
- Formal dining desserts and plating techniques
- Petite fours, Mignardises and Friandises
- Advanced chocolate and confectionery
- Advanced buffet desserts and presentations
- Advance Ice Creams, sorbets, and gelato
- Advanced bakery techniques including French & Italian bread and sourdough
- Advanced Viennoisserie
- Intermediate sugar and chocolate arts is desirable
- Demonstrated knowledge of manpower scheduling and duty rosters
- Practiced exposure to cost management and should have been responsible / participating in achieving set cost goals
- Demonstrated exposure to hygiene and food safety practices comparable to principles listed under the USPH VSP program
Diversity & Inclusion
Our workforce hails from more than 100 countries around the world, and we know that what makes us different is what makes us great.
Our beliefs have helped drive our company and experience since the very beginning.Learn More